I am a first-year PhD student at UC Berkeley studying computer science, with a concentration in artificial intelligence. My academic interests lie in efficient machine learning, perception for autonomous driving, and reinforcement learning. Additionally, I have been recognized internationally for social impact and design.
University of California, Berkeley (2018-)
Computer Science (PhD) . Artificial Intelligence
University of California, Berkeley (2014-2018)
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (BS) . Major GPA: 3.81/4.00
Graduate Combinatorial Algorithms and Data Structures, Graduate Deep Learning, Convex Optimization, Probability Theory and Random Processes, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis
- International Semifinalist for Adobe Design Achievement Awards ('18) both Social Impact, Commercial
- Microsoft Imagine Cup World Finals "Big Data" Top 6 Finalists ('18) ~40,000 entrants across 200+ countries, for an indoor positioning application focused on medical devices
- International Semifinalist for Adobe Design Achievement Awards ('17) both Social Impact, Fine Arts
- International Top 16 in "Web & Mobile", Design ('17) Semifinalist for "The Rookies Co." design competition with ~9000 entries across 80+ countries, 600+ design schools
SqueezeDet: Unified, Small, Low Power Fully Convolutional Neural Networks for Real-Time Object Detection for Autonomous Driving
by Bichen Wu, Alvin Wan, Forrest Iandola, Peter H. Jin, Kurt Keutzer
CVPR 2017 . Winner of Best Paper Award at Embedded Vision Workshop . Paper . Code
Shift: A Zero FLOP, Zero Parameter Alternative to Spatial Convolutions
by Bichen Wu, Alvin Wan, Xiangyu Yue, Peter Jin, Sicheng Zhao, Noah Golmant, Amir Gholaminejad, Joseph Gonzalez, Kurt Keutzer
CVPR 2018 . Paper . Code
Software Engineer . Rex . May 2018 - present
- building AI scheduling assistant with natural language support for multiple channels--text, email, Slack, Messenger etc.
Machine Learning Research Intern . DeepScale . Summer 2017
- employed sensor fusion for higher-resolution point cloud prediction with focus on object detection tasks
- adapted metrics such as Wasserstein distance to quantify performance
Software Engineering Intern . Facebook . Summer 2016
- worked with selendroid, ADM, and IntelliJ for MyDay (Messenger media-focused redesign), Tincan (encrypted threads) and Picheads (native camera integration)
- updated internal GraphQL dex, halved number of network requests for photo gallery, centralized Tincan media load
- lead staff of 30+ uGSIs, readers, academic interns
- compiled course notes, quizzes, and crib sheets (aaalv.in/cs189)
- helped reorganize course syllabus and write new content--homework, notes, tests
- 4.83/5.00 rating, 0.3 above department average
- led staff of 70+ student instructors, readers, and academic interns; academically responsible for 70+ students, 20-hour appointment
- organized 9 exams and over two dozen course events, across all semesters
- streamlined course organization, wrote 60-page book, published ~50 quizzes Fa'16, Sp'16
Student Instructor for Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
Fa'15 . Sp'15 (tutor) . Su'16 (head tutor) . 1200+ students per offering
- academically responsible for 60+ students, 20-hour appointment
- released 30-page compilation, released over a dozen quizzes, wrote and administered 250-person mock midterm
- core developer for the course's Ok autograder: increased test coverage from 37.1% to 90.7%, enhanced API security, use for 1400+ each semester
- I publish on DigitalOcean, where my articles have received 2+ million readers, and Smashing Magazine; I also host AirBnb Experiences, where I've received 40+ 5-star reviews.
- I'm among several founding developers (among top 3 contributors) for various essential UC Berkeley Data Science custom-built software, including the datascience Python package, interact server, and the Ok autograder.
- I served as Director of Technology for TEDxBerkeley, where I managed 250+ volunteers annually with custom-built software and launched 4 annual iOS apps ('15, '16, '17, '18).
- To grant autonomy to the blind using computer vision, I conducted a case study and built a prototype iOS application with a small team of 2 others.
- Still a blue belt in Taekwondo but working on it. Veteran cheesecake-lover though.